Confessions of a Bookaholic: I Do Not Read Introductions

by - 08:23

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yanivg/371258910/
Once in a while, I get these urges to confess things because sometimes I feel I am not a particularly good book lover. So here it goes ... I do not read introductions to books. 


There are a few books, especially the classics, which have introductions to them. I used to read them - back when I wanted to enjoy every single aspect of the reading experience. Until I found out they gave away too much detail. So I stopped. Obviously the introduction is important if you've read the book, as it gives you more clarity and a different perspective, but if you haven't it just spoils things. I'm one of those people who likes to be surprised. I stopped watching movie previews because they gave away too much and ended up spoling the movie experience for me. 


Am I the only one out there who shys away from the introduction because of the fear that the entire book experience will be ruined? Or am I a minority? If you do read introductions, I would love to know why. If you don't, I'd also love to know as well. Maybe I can be convinced to overcome my fear and start reading them again. And since I am confessing, I rarely go back to the introduction after I've finished reading. I know, terrible!

You May Also Like

6 Comments